Another fraud prevention firm making sizeable moves is the recently acquired Ekata. Read how their solutions stack up against SEON.
Disclaimer: Everything written about the companies mentioned in this article was gleaned from online research including user reviews. We did not have time to manually test all the tools. However, we ensured the information was correct as of Summer 2021. Feel free to contact us to request an update/correction.
Ekata provides global identity verification and fraud prevention solutions through an automated decisioning solution. Founded originally in 1997 under the name Whitepages, the company split into two identities back in 2019.
In April 2021 they were acquired by payments giant MasterCard and some of their larger customers include Lyft, Equifax, and Microsoft.
Ekata Key products
- A Transaction Risk API provides an overall network, IP and confidence risk score in under 100 ms tracking data points such as last seen emails location address and phone numbers.
- These are available as individual modules also through an Address Risk API and Phone Intelligence API.
- Ekata has two onboarding APIs (Merchant and Account) both aimed at reducing friction.
- Its Pro Insight tool is built especially for manual reviews and all of this is powered by their machine learning algorithms under the title the ‘Ekata Identity Engine’.
Pros of Ekata
- Expertise within the ecommerce sector.
- Strong emphasis on manual reviews.
- Availability of modular solutions to have layered defences with other companies products.
- Graph visualization through ‘Ekata Identity Graph’ product.
Cons of Ekata
- Lack of real-time data accessibility which can be problematic for emerging markets.
- Proprietary database means the data stored can and will go stale over time.
- No social media footprint checks.
SEON Vs Ekata Features Comparison Table
|Email data enrichment||Yes||Yes|
|Phone data enrichment||Yes||Yes|
|Find user social media||Yes, checks 35+ platforms||No|
|BIN for transaction||Yes||Yes|
|Behaviour tracking||Yes, via custom rules||Yes|
|User authentication||Via cookie and browser hash||Yes|
|Machine learning suggestions||Yes||No|
|Industry preset rules||Yes||No|
Integration / deployment
|Custom API fields||Yes||No|
|Integration with other tools||Yes, via Zapier||Yes|
|Cost per month||N/A|
Where SEON Wins Over Ekata
- Access real-time data through our social media lookup tool helps give a direct overview of any customer coming to your site.
- Device fingerprinting module blocks potential bad actors using VPNs, private browsers such as Tor or even incognito tabs.
- Machine learning suggestions keep your solution customised for your business needs.
- Flexible startup mentality allows for more communication and flexibility.
Where Ekata Wins Over SEON
- Expertise in ecommerce means many of their products are tailored for larger retailers.
- Forefront of payments technology following MasterCard takeover.
- Graph visualisation gives room to view masses amounts of transactions in a digestible format.
SEON vs Ekata Conclusion
Choose SEON If:
You are looking for a more modern product stack that still enables you to layer defences but utilises OSINT and data enrichment effectively to create more of a holistic profile of the given customer.
Choose Ekata If:
You are an enterprise ecommerce business handling huge amounts of data / transactions and looking for a solution that can approve orders fast based on its proprietary database.