The features to look for in email verification software include real-time results, a scaleable pricing model, high uptime, and the ability to learn more about the user, for instance via reverse social media lookup.
List of Best Software Verification Tools
- SEON: Best for Digital Profiling
- ZeroBounce: Best for Deliverability Tests
- Pabbly: Best for Slow but Accurate Results
- GetEmail.io: Best for Verification and Prospecting
- Mailfloss: Best for Integration with Newsletter Tools
- Snov.io: Great for General Marketing
- Hunter: Best for Domain Searches
- Email Checker: Good to Find and Remove Temp Emails
- Clearout: Best for Syntax Correction and Spam Traps
- EmailListVerify: Great for Cleaning Up Marketing Lists
With super smooth integrations, you can implement our email API within 30 minutes and benefit from our ML and real-time data profiling.
What Is Email Verification Software?
Email verification software lets you automatically check if an email address is valid or not. It’s a tool that marketers and sales teams frequently use to ensure people are receiving their emails. This is to avoid email “bounces,” which point to junk leads.
The rates at which recipients open marketing emails tend to be low worldwide, averaging 16–20% in 2020, according to Statista.
Marketers use email verification software to ensure their emails are deliverable. This helps reduce the costs of sending newsletters and email marketing campaigns.
Sophisticated email verification software also lets you extract more information about the email address, such as whether the domain is free or paid and whether the email address owner has social media accounts. This makes email verification software a great tool when considering who to funnel into Know Your Customer (KYC) verification processes, as well as for fraud prevention.
Top Email Verification Software Features
Email verification software should, at the very least, tell you if an email address is valid or not. But there’s more to consider:
- Scalability: How many addresses can you check at once? Ten? Ten thousand? For ambitious businesses, you must ensure the tool can grow along with your needs.
- Real-time results: For a marketing campaign, it might not matter if there’s a little delay before you get your deliverability results. But for KYC or fraud prevention, you need results in real-time. More to the point, the results must come from fresh data, not ancient blocklists (as the latter could lead to false positives).
- Setup and integration: While most email verification software comes from SaaS companies, more complex solutions can also work via API. This is ideal if you want to speed things up and automate processes – as long as the integration time isn’t punitive.
- Reliability: Checking email addresses, like sending emails, requires decent server uptime.
- Pricing: Most email verification software providers offer a free starter plan. Be mindful of the limits on the number of checks you can make before they bump you up to more expensive subscription tiers.
- Extra features: While email deliverability is the cornerstone, you’ll need more features for KYC and email profiling. For instance, technology to help you understand how legitimate the user appears to be, whether they’ve had the email address for a while, or if they’ve used it to sign up for online services such as social media.
The Best Email Verification Software of 2023
Whether you’re looking to boost your marketing efforts or get a 360° view of your users, here’s our list of the best email verification tools of the year.
|Disclaimer: Everything you’ll read in this article was gleaned from online research, including user reviews. We did not have time to manually test every tool. This article was last updated in Q3 2023. Please feel free to contact us to request an update/correction.
Best for Digital Profiling
SEON is a fraud detection company that delivers powerful data enrichment. In the context of email verification, this means getting tons of information based on an email address only.
You get real-time deliverability information via real-time SMTP-MX checks, but also a lot more, and you can integrate the tool however you see fit. That includes APIs (as pictured below), plus manual lookup, and even a Google Chrome and Shopify extension.
- Checks maturity of email address
- Digital footprinting
- Additional information from email
- Fraud and risk focus
- Starts at $599. Free version also available.
Choose SEON If
- You want to verify the legitimacy of email addresses, catch fraudsters, and segment customers.
- Email address maturity: SEON relies on email data breaches for user verification. This is a fantastic way to confirm if an email address is in use, and how long it’s been active.
- Social footprint: Email addresses linked to social profiles or other online accounts prove that the owner actively uses them, so they are more likely to be real. Not to mention all the valuable data you can glean from checking the public sections of the social media profiles themselves.
- Domain information: Is creating an email address with that domain name payable? Are there any security checks? If the answer is no to both questions, it’s more likely you’re not dealing with a high-value client – or worse, it could be a fully-fledged fraudster.
Examples of data you can get with the SEON email API
- Fraud and risk-focused: As it’s primarily focused on revealing customers’ true intentions to mitigate fraudulent attacks, SEON’s email data enrichment can help catch fraudsters, segment your users, and do due diligence – but not conduct some more technical email checks.
Best for Deliverability Tests
The first thing you should know about ZeroBounce is that it claims a 98% accurate email validation rate. The company also offers blacklist monitoring tools and even email quality scoring to assess whether the address is active or not.
ZeroBounce is the email verifier of choice for renowned companies such as Hotjar, Samsung, and Airbnb. You can test a single email address on its website, but you’ll need a subscription to check more than 100 emails a month.
- 98% email validation rate
- Leading compliance frameworks
- Blacklist monitoring
- Not intuitive
- There is a free tier if you check fewer than 100 emails per month. After that, you can choose the pay-as-you-go options (starting at $16 per month), or the monthly payments (starting at $15 per month). The price of each check depends on the volume.
Choose ZeroBounce If
- You want to ensure your mailing lists are free from fake and inactive email addresses.
- 98% email validation rate: According to the official website, the software is 98% accurate in validating emails and assigning email quality scores.
- Leading compliance frameworks: ZeroBounce is AICPA SOC 2 certified, SOC 2 Type II certified, CCPA compliant, and also compliant with the EU’s GDPR.
- Blacklist monitoring: Working in real-time, this feature will alert you if your own email addresses are found to be part of blacklists, so you can take all necessary steps to minimize the damage.
- Not intuitive: Some online reviewers mention how they would appreciate more user-friendliness, especially at the deployment stage.
Best for Slow but Accurate Results
Marketing and sales software vendor Pabbly takes an interesting approach to email verification: slower is better. For these specialists, that means a higher accuracy rate when verifying email lists.
Of course, the downside is that you have to wait for the results. For marketers who only need to scan their lists for deliverability issues, though, this could be a sacrifice worth making, considering the insights you get.
- Specialized feature
- Marketing focus
- 100% support
- Less-than-ideal speed
- The pricing is simple, starting at $5 for 1,000 emails, up to $2999 for 10 million emails. There is also a free trial.
Choose Pabbly If
- If you’ve already used less meticulous products and they didn’t cover your needs.
- Specialized features: Enjoy syntax elimination, domain confirmation, duplicate removal, anti-greylisting, and other tools of use to several types of professionals.
- Marketing focus: Pabbly was built with marketing and sales teams in mind, considering the additional products on offer, which include email marketing solutions and form builders. Overall, these professionals will appreciate the functionality.
- 100% support: This is a term used by Pabbly to indicate its eagerness to provide always-on, easy-to-reach support to its customers, via live chat as well as email.
- Less-than-ideal speed: The obvious compromise that Pabbly users must make is speed. However, once these expectations are managed, its depth and accuracy are much appreciated by customers. After all, Pabbly itself doesn’t hide how it prioritizes quality over speed.
Best for Verification and Prospecting
Companies such as Oracle, IBM, Google, and Shopify all rely on GetEmail.io to, well… get emails. For leads. And partnerships. And several other uses.
How does it work? Using a simple first name and last name, plus a company name, GetEmail will scan through websites to capture email addresses in seconds.
- Excellent for prospecting
- Search operators
- No validation
- You purchase one credit for each email address you gather. It’s free for up to 10 credits a month. The Basic plan, for 300 credits a month, is $49. Standard costs $99 per month and gives you 1,000 credits. Premium is $149 for 2,000 credits. Ultra is $399 for 10,000 monthly credits.
Choose GetEmail.io If
- You want to find professional contact information for leads, no matter where they work.
- Excellent for prospecting: GetEmail.io will both source and verify the email address of “anyone on Earth” to help your prospecting, so you always have a way to contact who you want.
- Tech-forward: GetEmail.io uses machine learning artificial intelligence (AI) to harness the power of big data and ensure the best possible results every time.
- Search operators: The solution supports search operator-style queries, which means you can easily focus your efforts on a platform of your choice – LinkedIn, for example.
- No validation: This vendor does not validate the email address, strictly speaking – but the idea is that the methodology is so accurate that you can rest assured of the accuracy of the results.
Best for Integration with Newsletter Tools
Fake email addresses on a company’s lists are more than just nuisances, explains mailfloss; they directly affect how email providers handle your messages and are more likely to land you in junk and spam folders.
This email verification provider promises to help you remove fake emails before they become a problem.
- Integrations aplenty
- Batch verification & automatic cleaning
- Identifies and fixes mistyped addresses
- Occasionally confusing in interpreting data
- You get a free seven-day trial. After that, it’s a three-tiered pricing system, starting at $25 a month (10,000 scanned emails) all the way up to $200 a month (125,000 scanned emails). The intermediary plan, called Business, is $57, paid monthly, for 25,000 credits.
Choose mailfloss If
- You want to ensure your newsletters are well-received by subscribers.
- Integrations aplenty: One of the key benefits of mailfloss is the number of integrations with other newsletter providers. You can link it to your MailChimp, HubSpot, AWeber, or ActiveCampaign accounts to ensure you never waste an email by sending it to the wrong inbox.
- Batch verification and automatic cleaning: Scan your entire mailing list quickly and stress-free with real-time API and one-time setup for maximum efficiency.
- Identifies and fixes mistyped addresses: Sometimes, the reason you do not have the correct email is a simple typo. mailfloss will identify these and automatically fix them.
- Occasionally confusing: Some online reviewers report difficulty interpreting the detailed reports, as well as going through the numerous additional options.
Good for General Marketing
Snovio (also known as Snov.io) boasts all the features you’d expect for good email marketing, including email address validation and an email finder to enable prospecting.
The deliverability checks come courtesy of standard real-time SMTP-MX checks, available via API or bulk upload.
The integrations aren’t half-baked either, with support for more than 2,000 other providers, including sales tools, teamwork apps, and form builders.
- Fast validation and verification
- Excellent support
- Freemium system
- Credits expire
- Unlike with other services, one email verification is only worth 0.5 credits in Snov.io. You get 150 free credits per month (300 email checks). There are then three paid monthly options available. Starter ($30) gives you 1,000 credits. Pro ($75 – $554 per month) also gives you email A/B testing and team permissions control. You can also buy managed outreach for $2,999 a month.
Choose Snov.io If
- You need a suite of sales tools that enable growth, including email verification.
- Fast validation and verification: Verifies and validates email addresses from mailing lists in under a minute, working in bulk and exporting into various formats.
- Excellent support: Online reviews rave about the quality of customer service provided by Snov.io, which is always handy when considering a new tool.
- Freemium system: Everyone gets up to 150 free checks a month and only needs to pay for additional credits.
- Credits expire: Keep in mind that unused credits purchased for Snov.io do not roll over to the next month, so you are better off timing purchases around your needs, if they are not constant.
Ideal for Removing Temporary Emails
Email Checker by Emailable offers “email verification you can trust”, and it has unique technology to prove it, including being able to verify Office 365 and other tricky mail servers.
A key feature of Email Checker is the ability to remove email addresses from temporary email providers. You also get syntax correction – for example, turning email@example.com into firstname.lastname@example.org.
It’s worth noting that Email Checker prides itself on being GDPR compliant, delivering 99% accuracy, and 50+ integrations with tools such as ConvertKit, Google Contacts, Mailchimp, or Zoho CRM, among others.
- Proven results
- Verifies catch-all emails
- Convenient options
- Unimpressive GUI
Email Checker Pricing
- It starts at $30 for 5,000 email credits, or you can pay $25.50 for the same features but with a monthly contract. After that, the price goes up depending on usage.
Choose Email Checker If
- You require deep email verification that also fixes typos and removes temporary and throwaway emails.
Email Checker Pros
- Proven results: The company claims to get deliverability up to 99%, and it has verified more than 19.96 million emails at the time of writing.
- Verifies catch-all emails: Runs email verification twice, employing both traditional methodology and “enhanced clean” to sort through catch-alls. This is why it can claim to be the sole provider that can verify Office 365 emails.
- Convenient options: The solutions are all available via API and either as a pay-as-you-go pricing model or monthly subscription.
Email Checker Cons
- Unimpressive GUI: Though aesthetics are subjective, the fact that the vast majority of online reviews of Email Checker can’t find any downside apart from its look is a testament to its efficiency.
Good for Domain Search
Hunter proudly claims that its tool is used by more than three million professionals at companies such as Adobe, IBM, Google, and Microsoft, among others.
Features include the popular “domain search,” which automatically gets lists of people working at a certain company.
- Real-time checks
- Extra tools
- Promises results
- Credits system
- Hunter has plans based on the number of requests you make, starting at $49 per month for 1,000 verifications. There is also a free plan for 50 monthly verifications.
Choose Hunter If
- You want to verify emails as well as find verified email addresses at a company.
- Real-time checks: Automatically verify addresses in real-time – be they single or bulk checks, or even API verifications.
- Extra tools: In addition to verifying email addresses, Hunter allows you to run domain searches and searches for a specific person’s email address, as well as run cold email campaigns and so on.
- Promises results: On the verification and validation side, Hunter has Email Verifier, which relies on a proprietary system to “return a result even when other standard verification tools would fail.” It’s hard to verify the veracity of these claims but reviews are positive.
- Credits system: Though Hunter’s choice of credit system is very similar to what other companies in the niche are using, and by no means a shortcoming, some customers dislike that even searches that do not return any results use up Hunter credits.
Good for Syntax Correction and Spam Traps
Clearout is an email verification solution that specializes in removing unwanted emails from your lists. Detection methods allow you to clean up subscriber lists by removing duplicate emails, syntax errors, and temporary email providers.
What the company focuses on in its marketing, however, are honeypots, hard bounces, and spam traps. It’s the tool of choice for companies such as Truecaller, WhatFix, and Adobe, among others.
- Diverse collection points
- Interesting integrations
- Steep learning curve
- You can get 100 free credits by signing up. Paid options include pay-as-you-go ($21 for 3,000 checks), or subscription, starting at $31.5 for 5,000 credits paid monthly. Annual payments reduce the price by 20% on average.
Choose Clearout If
- Your email communications have been at risk of being classed as spam.
- Diverse collection points: Captures leads at several different points of entry, which include chatbots, surveys, polls, newsletters, WooCommerce, websites, etc.
- Results-focused: Clearout can be viewed as a solution that solves several pain points of lead generation and marketing, as it can stop spammy leads, optimize the efficiency of cold outreach, reduce spam complaints, and safeguard your sender reputation.
- Interesting integrations: From the proprietary add-on for Google Sheets to API calls and HubSpot and WordPress plugins, several methods exist to make Clearout work around your needs.
- Steep learning curve: Some online reviewers state that Clearout is not as easy to get used to as they would like – both in everyday usage and reporting.
Good for Cleaning Up Marketing Lists
Another full-featured email verification tool, EmailListVerify claims to achieve the same results as its competitors for half the price. Supported bulk verification formats include CSV, XLS, and even TXT.
The idea is that you upload “dirty” lists and get a clean list of deliverable, valid email addresses – with no duplicates, either. EmailListVerify is GDPR compliant, and online reviews rave about the exceptional quality of its customer service.
- Checks catch-all domains
- Efficient cleaning
- You get 100 email verifications for free. Then, pricing starts as low as $4 for 1,000 checks. You can also pay $139 per month to check up to 5,000 emails per day as part of a monthly subscription. The prices increase with the number of emails you check, both for pay-as-you-go and monthly subscriptions. API access is included in each payment plan.
Choose EmailListVerify If
- You want a straightforward way to bulk clean lists of emails.
- Cost-effective: Starting at $4 to check 1,000 emails, it seems on par with other providers’ pricing – but things get interesting when you get to higher volumes. For instance, you could save 93% on verifying 10 million emails (for $3,290).
- Checks catch-all domains: This functionality isn’t always provided by email checking tools and can go a long way toward amping up your return on investment (ROI).
- Efficient cleaning: In this simple but very useful solution, you get domain and SMTP validation, disposable email cleaner, duplicate remover, spam trap checker, and syntax verification, among others.
- Tardiness: Always subject to list size, a few current users report in online reviews that results would ideally be faster.
See how SEON’s email-based intelligence can help you reduce costs and fight fraud.
Ask an Expert
Why Use an Email Verification Service?
Email verification services offer crucial functions for business operations, ensuring marketing and sales communications find their intended targets, as well as providing a low-friction data point to scrutinize for fraud prevention.
For sales and marketing, email verification services can be exerted on entire mailing lists to optimize their efficiency. Rather than waste communications resources on undeliverable email addresses, email verification services can not only make sure addresses are valid, but many can also assist with market segmentation.
In terms of fraud prevention, email verification services offer a valuable tool against fraudsters who would use a disposable or nonexistent email as a tool in their crimes. Fraud prevention platforms like SEON check email addresses for human-like characteristics, starting with whether the email is a real, deliverable address or not. Beyond that, fraud-fighting email verification also checks for risk indicators such as a disposable email address, addresses associated with malicious behavior through blacklists, or email addresses that have been recently created and have a nonexistent digital footprint. These checks can effectively detect fraudsters who create new email addresses to carry out various forms of digital fraud.
Choosing the Right Email Verification Software
Finding the best solution for email verification is a matter of understanding your own use cases and pain points.
For sales and marketing teams, email verification is of great use for improving ROI data and removing fake, dead, duplicate, and misspelled email addresses when sending out communications. Some products on this list provide such functions natively, while others may require integration with other software offerings, which may or may not already exist in your stack. Depending on your company’s scale and internal data hygiene, different products may suit your needs.
As both B2B and B2C business functions continually move towards fully digital interactions, email addresses are an increasingly important – and illuminating – data point to be aware of. Regardless of whether you are using email address data enrichment to fight fraud, create more productive email campaigns, or secure sales leads, finding the best email verification software for your company will be an invaluable addition to your software stack, both for profits and security.
You can perform an SMTP-MX check to ensure the inbox exists and will receive your email. Most email validation software offers this feature. Of course, you can also test it manually, making sure that the syntax and domains seem valid.
You can learn if the address is valid or not, check if it’s from a paid or free domain provider, and see if it’s connected to any online platforms, including social media.
For bulk verification, it’s helpful to rely on email verification software, which can check thousands of addresses at once. The results are either checked automatically (if you connect the tool with your mailing list provider), via API, or as CSV.
Showing all with `` tag